| select language:
Amalgam and mercury
Amalgam is one of the oldest and probably the most controversial filling material available for teeth. Its use in dentistry dates back to 1820, at which time it was likely already was a topic of discussion.
Amalgam fillings are the main source of mercury consumption (World Health Organisation - WHO, 2003) (Link auf WHO) (2003) Elemental Mercury and Inorganic Mercury Compounds: Human Health Aspects, p. 11).
In February 2009 in Nairobi, the Ministers of the Environment of the United Nations agreed on a ban on mercury. (Link auf FAZ.net vom 17.8.2010) Amalgam is an alloy of mercury, mixed with other metals such as silver, copper, indium, tin and zinc.
When amalgam fillings are placed directly adjacent to gold fillings in the mouth, they cause the gold to corrode at a much higher rate.
Even after seven years, they still release toxic mercury into the body. Mercury vapor can still be detected on the breath 45 minutes after chewing. This can lead to asthma and chronic sinusitis. Amalgam abrasion during chewing causes mercury to be swallowed, methylised in the gastrointestinal tract and transported to the brain.

Chronic mercury poisoning can lead to various problems, including:
• Headache
• Dizziness
• Nervousness
• Memory disorders
• Speech disturbances
• Renal insufficiency
• Stomach pains
• Neurological disorders

Symptoms of chronic mercury poisoning are initially non-specific:
• Fatigue
• Pains in the head, arms and legs
• Gingivitis
• Tooth mobility
• Increased salivation
• Diarrhea and kidney infections

In advanced stages, the following additional symptoms may occur:
• Muscle twitches
• Mood swings
• Agitation and anxiety
• Impaired auditory, visual and tactile sensation, speech and gait disturbances
• Impaired memory
• Personality changes

Investigations, including our own, have shown that the carcinogenic metals lead and thallium were found more often in the bone or at the dental root of patients with dental materials made from amalgam and metal alloys than in patients without metal in the oral cavity, or after its removal.